Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dinner in bed...

Well, it’s been too long since I’ve posted anything – I’ve spent the last week playing catch-up for the five days our life was put on hold. After many follow-up visits with specialists, blood tests and medications, Jarad is back at work, coaching, running… pretty much back to normal. We made reservations for the fifth and final Rock and Roll event in San Jose on October 14, so he’s working toward being able to finish that one (he promises not to try to beat any Kenyans). With this event under his belt he will have logged 78.6 race miles since January, and will be an official Rock Star. I’ll post a picture of the medal when he gets it!

Here’s Jarad’s embolism episode from the four-year-old perspective…

Fisher: Mom, when I get a big chunk of blood in my chest (thanks to cousin Jacob for explaining it to Fisher this way), will I have to go to the doctor’s too?
Me: Yes, if you have a chunk of blood you’ll have to go to the hospital honey.
Fisher: And will that man bring me dinner in my bed?

A couple of days later I was talking to Emma and Fisher about how much something cost and mentioned that we had just spent a lot of money on dad’s hospital stay (seriously, I’ll say anything to get out of buying another Polly Pocket – way to guilt my six year old!). I explained that all the doctors and nurses who took care of him had to be paid, and the medicines and tests he had cost lots of money.

Fisher: And the guy who brought him dinner in bed too.

Yes Fisher. We have to pay for the guy who brought him dinner in bed.

No comments: