Monday, January 12, 2009

A hike in the desert




To celebrate our last Saturday of freedom (freedom from having jam-packed Saturdays due to sports schedules, etc.) we took the kids on a hike the Saturday before they went back to school. Secretly I think Jarad just wanted to try out his new pack and this gave him an excuse to don it (it was his Christmas gift from me, and I overheard him telling my parents "this is may be the best Christmas gift I've ever received" - a huge compliment from a person who returns half the gifts I get him).The kids were on a quest for gold, since we were, after all, hiking the Treasure Loop in Lost Dutchman State Park.

I think I forget just how short the legs of a three year old are, and how many steps it takes them to walk a mile. We thought the 2.4 mile loop wouldn't be a problem, but we didn't quite make it all the way to the halfway mark before we turned around and went back down the hill.



I'm not sure about this, but I THINK maybe the pockets full of rocks we found on Fisher may have contributed to his desire to turn around :). Could have been the two ten-pounders (plus?) he was trying to manage. Notice in this picture one hand holding up his pants (too many rocks in his pockets) and the other trying to carry a couple of boulders.


Case has asked several times this week when we are going back to the desert. "Maybe there will be a treasure!"

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

glad you had fun... and love the musical additions. Good choice!!

nicole said...

It looks like a great time. It cracks me up that Fisher collects rocks. Do all boys go through that phase? I hope he at least got to bring a few of them home.

Anonymous said...

Oh your kids... they just kill me. They truly are the most hilarious, and cutest kids ever. I love that Fisher was struggling to keep it all together with boulders in hand and rocks in his pants. I love those photos of them all together. Looks like a good time.

Alli grins said...

Cute Fisher! He has a thing for rocks, doesn't he? Looks like a fun hike and even though you didn't make it all the way up, you had fun and got some great pictures. Dan & I have talked about camping there sometime soon. What's the scoop?

Love your Valentine blog look:-)