Well, not really. I've never been one to be able to put politics aside. I have two things to say here.
1. I think Sarah Palin rocked it last night in her speech at the GOP convention. I'm probably a teensy bit biased, being a small town girl from Alaska myself, and perhaps I got caught up in it all. BUT she has such appeal to someone like me. Of course, I didn't get to hear the whole speech, between cleaning up dinner, putting kids to bed, etc. But ya know what? I bet Mrs. Palin has experienced that before... the whole balancing act of being a parent. She's one of us. And don't you go telling me that someone like me couldn't hang in the vice-president's mansion. Her humor was spot on and she came across as very genuine. Alaska breeds strong, opinionated and tenacious women (if I do say so myself). When I first heard of McCain's pick for his veep, I thought it was absolutely a kiss of death. Now, a week later, I'm not so sure. I sincerely hope my girl goes all the way (oh, and McCain too).
2. In Arizona, our November ballot will contain an issue that I feel strongly about: whether same-sex marriages should be sanctioned in our state. Neighbors, friends, family have all been talking about it lately. Anyone who knows me knows where I stand on this, so I'm not going to soapbox about that. What I AM going to soapbox about, however, is that we can talk about an issue until we're blue in the face. We can rally and hold signs and blog about it. BUT something we absolutely cannot fail to do, when it comes right down to it, is VOTE! It's the easiest thing in the world to do. Register. Request a mail-in ballot. Study out the issues and the candidates (so much information out there!). Make your decisions, mark your ballot and mail it in. No lines at the polls. We have to make our voices heard in the way that it counts, whether we're talking about candidates or issues.
If you click on the link above it will take you to Rock the Vote. Or find the Web site of your state's Secretary of State.
OK stepping down off my soapbox (gingerly, I did squats with Alli and Tami earlier this week and I'm still sore!).
1 year ago
2 comments:
girl, i SO agree! i was planning on writing in romney, but after watching palin the other night i will just have to prayerfully consider voting for her and that other guy. ;)
I have to second that! I am proud of our alaskan lipsticked pitbull~
Post a Comment