I'm so proud of Fisher and his spelling and reading abilities. Just this weekend, in fact, he demonstrated precisely how good he is. Allow me to elaborate...
Somebody in the family used the word "bum" or perhaps "fanny" in conversation. This led Emma to mention that this word is better to say than "the A word."
ME: Why, yes that's true Emma, do you know what the A word is?
EM: Yes it's (whispers and cups her hands around her mouth) A-S-S (sorry, I didn't warn those virgin eyes out there).
So this turned into a brief discussion that I THOUGHT was just between Emma and I about that word and how it's ugly and we don't use it. She told me her friend had said something about kicking a certain someone's said body part. (Nice second-grade rhetoric, right?)
Of course, Fisher has the biggest ears in the family (no, I really mean that, I think his ears are physically bigger than mine), so he picks up the conversation where Emma and I left off.
Fish: So you spell it A-S-S, right? But how do you SAY it?
ME: Well, we don't, so you don't need to worry about it.
That didn't fly, so I caved and ended up saying the word to let him know that if he hears others saying it he would know not to repeat it.
Not five minutes later Fisher and Emma have gone off to play and I hear Fisher, as he comes running after Emma around the corner say "Let's Kick Some A-S-E!" He turns to see the horrified look on my face and immediately says "I didn't say the bad word, I said A-S-E!
He had spelled it wrong on purpose so he wouldn't get in trouble, but wanted to toe the line by saying this new bad word he had used. What a little stinker!
I do believe we're going to have our hands full with this one... Perhaps you'll remember his fascination about this time last year with the bird.
1 year ago
5 comments:
What a fun post to read. It just really makes me feel good that mine aren't the only kids that come home from school with some new found language. FUN!
Carla
Hee, hee!! That's good. As far as the ear thing, we should have an official contest between him and D. The night he was born in the hospital, I laid there, holding him and comparing his ears to mine. They were the same size. Imagine how 10 years of growth have affected that!
Oh, they grow up too quickly!!
That is so good. It always amazes me how they can so easily pick up on the not so nice things. That makes me wonder, if I start telling my kids that thank you and yes ma'am are naughty words...they might say them more.
that is too funny katie, they always find something, don't they?
Post a Comment