Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ET Phone Home

We realized last weekend that our kids have never seen ET. Since Fisher has been sick since last Friday and has blown through our DVD library in that time, I decided to get ET for him to watch today while the twins were at playgroup and I was working. A few minutes ago he burst into my room with tears running down his face. He hopped up next to me on my bed (I mean my "office") and said, uncharacteristically quiet, "ET is a very sad movie." And then he just started sobbing.

Poor little guy. I had forgotten the part in the middle where ET dies, which was what he was crying about. And I just left him to his own five-year-old defenses to cope with this very sad movie! I did the same thing with Emma the first time she watched Bambi -- I happily set her up to watch our fun new movie while I got dinner on the table. Ten minutes later she's sobbing at my feet because Bambi's mom died!

I suppose I need to screen these "old" movies before I let my kids watch them, just like I would any new movie. Clearly my memory isn't as keen as I would like to think :).

Fisher told me he was sad because ET died, and I had to talk him into watching the rest of the movie with me. So then I sat there and bawled as Elliot bids goodbye to ET at the end.

ET is a sad movie after all.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can still remember the first time I watched it. I had just finished 1st grade... there was so much hype. I can honestly say I didn't like it. I still really don't care for it. Bambi too. Those are 2 movies we will never having in our video library. I don't care how big of classics they are.

bethiepoos said...

I remember plonking kyle in front of "air bud" I have never seen it but it had a cute dog on it, so I left him to it. 30 minutes later I went to check on him and he was sobbing!! apparently air bud is very sad also!!!

mommy k said...

erin v. and her family still will not let me forget how i cried, no sobbed, at bambi.

we also just recently watched e.t. my littlest one thought that e.t. "was the scariest movie i ever saw".

Heaton's said...

We had the same experience with ET. Kali was about five also and was really scared by it. She had a lot of bad dreams because of ET. Curse him!!!