Monday, May 23, 2011

Lemon-Aid

Emma has been bugging me to let her do a lemonade stand. I had no idea why she wanted to do one so badly. I finally had a Saturday that worked, bought all the stuff and let her go to town. She got her friends involved, made posters in advance, put them up all over the neighborhood and set out to sell her lemonade. They brought a portable CD player with the appropriately titled Lemonade Mouth CD, which I originally thought was just for them to listen to, but as it turns out they had coreographed dances to all the songs so they could provide entertainment for their customers. The signs even advertised said entertainment. They had really thought this through!

When all was said and done they brought home $6.10. Emma promptly tucked it away in a special jar marked "money for missionaries." She had held the lemonade stand to raise money for a young man from our church who's on a mission in California, and she wanted to help him pay for his mission.

I am duly humbled and in awe of a ten-year-old girl who wasn't out to make money for herself so she could go to Claire's or get more fingernail polish or CDs. She went to all that effort with a selfless intent. I know for sure that never would have crossed my ten-year-old mind. As for now, I need to learn to give my kids a lot more credit than I do.

Love you Em. I'm so proud of you.

4 comments:

mary said...

You have taught them well my friend. Kudos to Emma and her team.

Caroline Ray said...

I wish I could have seen it! I would have definitely contributed to the cause! What a sweetheart! She does her mama proud!

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

THAT is precious!

Cami D. said...

That is fantastic! You are a great mama!! You should TOTALLY send that story to E. Sanchez, I know he will love it! What a sweet kid that Emma!