As I sat in church yesterday listening to kids of all ages pay tribute to their mothers and wives, I of course was thinking of my own mother. Of her patience and quiet love. Her willingness to listen and offer advice when asked, but never to insert herself into a decision I must make on my own. Her lifetime of low-key (and often high-key!) service to others. My mind moved then to the other ‘mothers’ I had growing up. My older sister Karin played a huge role as a role model, friend and confidante through my teenage years. Both my sisters continue to be advisors and sounding boards for me as a mother of my own kids. The handful of primary, Sunday school and young women’s teachers I had in the Anchorage 5th Ward, with whom I really connected and remember some 30 years later.
Then my sweet friend and neighbor Jill didn’t hesitate to prompt Case when he panicked at the pulpit. We had been practicing testimonies in Family Home Evening and he did NOT want anyone to go up to help him. And then he froze. And I watched Jill love my son as she helped him bear his testimony. I am so lucky to have friends who love my kids and who are helping me raise them. Who keep their eyes out for things I might need to be aware of. Who search the neighborhood when a certain son of mine goes missing. Who are great examples to me of what mothering and unconditional love are all about.
My kids are also so lucky to have three of the best grandmas in the world. Between them these grandmas raised 18 kids, so not only do they know a thing or two about being mothers, they have taken all they know and perfected it as grandmas. I love watching them love my kids.
So maybe a day late, but here’s my tribute to all the moms in my life. Thank you for all you do for me and for my passel of kids.
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment