OK enough complaining. Now it’s time to brag on my husband… Jarad and I went to San Jose last weekend for his final race in the Rock n Roll series. His first half marathon was in February 2006, when he ran it in just under 2 hours (this is 13.1 miles folks). Even that’s pretty impressive for a first-timer if you’re asking me! Now here we are 20 months, 5 halfs, a marathon and a pulmonary embolism later, and he logged an impressive 1:34:49! That’s about 25 minutes faster than his first. Amazing!
Now keep in mind that he was supposed to take this one “easy.” I was able to see him start, cheer him on at the 4-mile marker, and then see him finish. When he hit the 4-mile mark at 28 minutes (a 7-minute mile, which is an aggressive pace for someone taking it “easy”) I was about to kill him. Then I’m standing at the finish and figure I’ll start looking for him in earnest around 1:38 (a minute faster than his best time). I’m cheering on everyone who passes by, and around 1:34 I’m yelling for this pack of runners coming down the chute… then I see the yellow jersey I’ve been looking for. Hunkered down and eyes on the finish line. I say to the girl I’m standing next to, whom I’ve been chatting with for 30 or so minutes “there’s my husband! I’m going to kill him!” Nice reaction, right? She must have thought I was crazy. But there he was, breathing fine, limping a little and smiling. I was so proud of him I almost cried (well, OK I did).
Since he was completing his fifth race this year, they put him in the select group of “Rock Stars” whom they identified with yellow bibs. Jarad was the third rock star to cross the finish line, and they hadn’t made mention of anyone else being a rock star. But as he came in, the announcer said “here comes Jarad Curtis from Gilbert, Arizona. He’s just completed five races this year making him a rock star! Be sure to congratulate anyone you see with a yellow bib… etc. etc.” Anyway, it was pretty cool that he got some recognition for that. Even though his Ipod was blaring and he didn’t hear a word of it!
Unfortunately, since he did so well he took me completely off guard and I couldn’t get the stinkin’ camera turned on fast enough. So we don’t have any pictures of him crossing the finish on our camera. We’ll have to get those from the event photographer.
[HERE'S A PHOTO OF JARAD AFTER THE RACE, REPLENISHING HIS ENERGY!]
We did get some fun photos of us in San Francisco, though. We spent Saturday in the city, which was so much fun. We drove up from San Jose and parked the car in a garage, then took a cable car to Fisherman’s Wharf (have to do that, right?) and walked our way from one end to the other. We actually had read about a farmers market, so we walked all the way to Pier 1 and found the market which was probably the highlight of our visit. It was all this fantastic fresh fruit and veggies, vinegars and oils, breads and cheeses, pastries and chocolates… we pretty much ate our way through it (even had some fresh oysters on the half-shell!). We walked our way back to the other end of the Wharf, which had picked up in activity by then (way too many people!), and grabbed the cable car back to Union Square for some shopping and a late lunch. It couldn’t have been more perfect weather for us too! The only thing we didn’t get to do that we had wanted to was the ferry/tour to Alcatraz. Who knew that was such a popular attraction? It was completely sold out first thing in the morning. But if we had done that, we wouldn’t have made it to the farmers market, so it turned out better anyway!
[WE STOOD ON THE FRONT AND OUTSIDE OF THE CABLE CAR THE ENTIRE RIDE THROUGH SF. I'M SORRY, BUT I'M NOT LETTING GO OF THAT BAR TO TAKE A PHOTO. SO WE HAD SOMEONE TAKE A PHOTO OF US AFTER WE REACHED OUR DESTINATION!]
No comments:
Post a Comment