Monday, January 7, 2008

Yet ANOTHER nightmare at church

Was it a full moon yesterday or what? For some reason our twins were ON something (maybe it was Diet Coke -- I'll tell that story later). Case decided about halfway through Sacrament meeting that he'd had enough. He got past Emma (last time Emma gets to sit at the end of the row) and took off to the front. Before Jarad could get to him he had run up onto the stand, behind the organ, behind the piano, to the back of the choir chairs. Screaming all the way. I actually couldn't watch it all because I was ducked down with my face buried in the bench laughing my head off. A few minutes later Tess seized an opportune moment while I was trying to stop Emma and Fisher's current argument to escape as well. Thankfully she ran to the back, so my chase was a bit less conspicuous than Jarad's.

OH NO BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

I was carrying Case and holding Teslin's hand as we walked to their class. Keep in mind that for two years I've been carrying two babies around. I get one situated on one hip, then pick the other one up under their arm and hoist them onto the other hip. No big deal. Recently Case has gotten too heavy for me to pick up one-handed, so it's usually Tess who gets lifted second. So as we reached their open classroom door, Tess decides to start running... away from the classroom. Before she got away, I grabbed her by the arm and kind of picked her up and swung her into the classroom. Something POPPED. That's happened before, but this time she started screaming. I picked her up and got Case interested in some toys while I checked her out (you know, my expert medical hands). Every time I touched her she cried "ow!" Not good. About 15 minutes went by, and as I sat and held her she would stop crying, then want to get down to play but as soon as she moved in the slightest, she'd start crying again. Not just whimpering, but CRYING in pain.

Someone went to find one of our friends who's a nurse, and after talking to her (thanks for your calming influence Shauna), I was on my way to find Jarad and be on our way to the ER. But the ER came to us instead! Thanks to our ER-doc-friend Joel for coming to the rescue and popping Tess's elbow back in place. Evidently it's a very common thing for moms to wrench their kids' arms out of joint. So common they have a name for it (nursemaid's elbow)! So Joel does a little magic, said he felt the elbow pop back in, and said to give her 10 minutes to see if she started using it again. In LESS than 10, she was asking to "go bubba." She wanted to go back where Case was and play with him. So she was totally fine, but this momma felt like the crappiest mom in the world.

Nice I can laugh about it now, but seriously I haven't heard her cry like that since her LAST visit to the ER. I wonder if Joel could have gotten that hanger dislodged from the bottom of her mouth??

3 comments:

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

Oh Katie! I felt so bad for you yesterday! I am so glad Tess is better. Joel to the rescue. LOLOLOL He loves to help! I caught that when Case ran to the front. Joel and I were laughing but only b/c it wasn't our kid. Bridger once projectile puked in sacrament meeting. Sound effects and everything. The speker actually stopped and stared at us. So did EVERYONE else there. I thought I would die, nevermind the poor kid was sick. I was so embarassed. You are the cutest mom and I am glad I am getting to know you more!!! ;)

Jess

Jeanette said...

We learned all about "Nursemaid's elbow" with our oldest daughter. Scary isn't it?! McKenzie learned she could milk it too and get away with murder. Kids are so smart. Hope your little one is feeling better.

Karen said...

Hi Katie! It's Jess's friend Karen....Thank you for the Bithday wishes...that was sweet...I'm DYING over your cute blog and cute family....and also wanted to let you know that when Teagan was little we were dancing with her at a 4th of July celeb and we ended up in the E.R. in California as, John,too, unknowingly yanked too hard and she had nursemaid's elbow...WE FELT HORRIBLE and can relate:)