Friday, February 27, 2009

Any couponing experts out there?

I know, how cliche of me to start clipping coupons now, but drastic times call for drastic measures. I've never had the patience for it before, and I would always clip them for things I don't need. I'm doing better on that now, but I have a question for you all:

How do you organize your coupons? By food category? By expiration date? By where they are located in the store? (You laugh - when I used to make shopping lists for Jarad when I was pregnant with the twins I had to write the items in order from the produce section all the way over to the snack aisle so he could find stuff. It's a sad day when you can sit in your kitchen in visualize the store to a T.)

I've been clipping for a couple of months now, and of course watching the Wednesday ads to maximize that angle too. I even had a banner day on Wednesday where I saved more than I spent (my total was $46 and I saved $48 - who DOES that??).

Anyway, any advice is appreciated!

5 comments:

Everyday Moments said...

Katie,...this is what I do. I actually taught a class last night in another stake all about maximizing your grocery dollar. I can help you! In the last 6 weeks I spent $265 and saved $450 = 58%.

You'll have to check out my coupon binder....it goes with me everywhere so I never miss out on anything. I file coupons by category and get three Sunday papers.

Actually, I'll do a post about it because other people have asked me about it too.

Call me if you have any questions.

Settler's Bay Relief Society said...

I didn't picture you as a coupon gal, but I'm intrigued. It sounds like you've already got some good ideas. Do you only get coupons from your local papers, or is there a site you download them from?

nicole said...

Two of my sister's are huge fans of CouponSense. I heard at one point that Carla used the same service. They save tons of money. I could never justify signing up for the service because the kids were still little, but now that they're bigger and snacking more, it might be time to try it out. If Carla is a member, maybe we should have her teach a class for us or bring her advisor in to speak to us??? I'm interested too!

Jeanette said...

Hey Kate. I stopped by again. Love your family's picture. So cute. I hope one day I can get all my kids to take a cute picture (with no one crying, etc.) but I won't hold my breath. ;)

I am a big coupon shopper. Colette is actually the Queen at it. I think of coupons as money in my pocket. Walmart price matches, so you can save on an item that is on sale somewhere else and still use your coupon. I love it when that happens. There are tricks and there are tons of web sites that teach you for free. Just google coupons. Good luck.

Lynnae said...

I use the www.grocerygame.com. They have a two month trial for one dollar. When you go to the website they explain everything.

The site matches the coupons in your coupon book with what is on sale at the store that you chose. They let you know when items are on sale that match your coupons. They post a list of sale items for the store (s) you chose. They list them in black (buy only if you need it) blue (stock up now) and green (free). Its very easy and you can sort by color then print only those items you checked off as wanting to buy. They also have a link to stores to load coupons on your frys card that can be used on top of the coupon.

Before using this site I hated using coupons. Now I almost always save more than I spend.

This is John Merrell, so if you have any questions about the site just let me know. Also if you decide to sign up let the site know I recommended you, by entering my email. john10110@yahoo.com. Three referrals gets you a free month.

The cost is like four or eight dollars every two months......This site saved me much more than that each week.