Like many of you, a few months ago we recognized the need to go lean on our budget. One of the things we decided we could cut out of the budget was having Jarad's work shirts laundered and pressed. After all, I wasn't working very much (some months not at all!) and I couldn't justify spending money on a task that I could do myself when I clearly had the time. What I didn't anticipate was how much time ironing takes! I found myself always ironing in early afternoon when the twins are in "quiet time" (honestly, there's really no reason to call it that, but we can talk about that in another post), and watching Dr. Phil or The Doctors. What a waste of time! Mind-numbing waste of time.
Then, a few weeks ago I discovered that I can watch the previous Sunday's edition of Masterpiece Theatre online (remember we don't have a DVR or cable, so daytime viewing is limited to Dr. Phil, the soaps and any number of bad judges). Beautiful! I've also taken to borrowing movies from friends and from Blockbuster specifically with my ironing time in mind. It's a whole new world of entertainment -- without guilt! The sad thing is that it truly does take me almost the length of a feature film to iron a week's (or more if I've been lazy) worth of shirts. Let's not calculate the per-shirt time here. But the important thing is that I don't dread ironing day anymore. I never ever thought I'd say this, but I rather look forward to it! I even bought myself a new iron this week. Movin' on up the domestic ladder, I am.
1 year ago
5 comments:
You are too funny, Katie! I hate ironing too, which is IRONIC because my Mom irons EVERYTHING. She even says it's enjoyable. Weird! I do think it's because it's about her only TV time. Carolyn just returned a bunch of great movies I lent her to watch as she was recovering from her foot surgery, so I'd love to fuel your ironing enjoyment and let you borrow :-)
I really don't iron! I despise it and if and only if my skirts are terribly wrinkled and the Downy wrinkle free spray doesn't solve the issue then I brake out the iron. I was ironing before Wyatt was born and we had just gotten a video camera and Jason thought that he should document that I was ironing because it doesn't happen. So, you need props for being such a great wife and ironing shirts. Jason just buys the wrinkle free shirts. It is blessed.
Yeah, Matt's been wearing a lot of sweaters, and polos lately because I hate ironing so much. I told Matt if he paid me, I would do it, but other than that, I just don't have the time. (I have an elderly lady in our ward who pays me to do her ironing).
See, not everyone can be as wonderful a wife as you.:)
i have the six hour version of pride and prejudice on dvd...that is almost a months worth of ironing...you can borrow it anytime.
I LOVE it! I stopped ironing for my DH a LONG time ago! Your DH doesn't knows how good he's got it! Here are 2 things I learned: 1) Downy Wrinkle Releaser (spray) is a beautiful thing, and 2) a fine mist of H2O and a few good shakes or a minute in the dryer do wonders!
Post a Comment