Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tragic and avoidable...

I just read a story in the Arizona Republic.

Yes, we still take the daily paper and read it at the breakfast table. Old fashioned I know. We don't have cable either. But we do have flush toilets - although you wouldn't know it if you consider the number of times our kids pee in the backyard. But I digress.

In 16 states the number of deaths due to drugs has outpaced the number of deaths in traffic accidents. SERIOUSLY?? Prescription drug abuse is becoming an epidemic. I don't think any of us has not been affected by the death of someone who was addicted to prescription medication. Have you? We have on several occasions.

We have seen too many friends die. Too many wives lose their husbands and kids lose their dads. This is NOT JUST A TEENAGE ISSUE! Interestingly enough, everyone we've known has been male, but I'm sure there are plenty of moms and sisters out there with this gripping addiction that often times starts out innocently enough.

I feel so helpless to do anything about it, so I rant here (I can't very well go talk about this to the four-year-olds playing in my family room right now). Raising awareness. There you go. That's what I can do. Throw away your leftover painkillers. Don't get a refill on your prescription for anyone else -- you NEVER know who might be addicted to these things. No one is immune! If you think a loved one has a problem, get them help. If YOU have a problem please get help. These drugs make your heart EXPLODE. They are more than just painkillers, they are killers. Period.

1 comment:

Alli grins said...

Amen, sister! I so agree with this post. Someone very close to us has struggled for over a decade with painkillers and because of this, I wouldn't even take more than Motrin after my c-sections. Too scary.

Keep reading those papers at breakfast! What a great example for your kiddos:-) ❤I miss you!