Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Born in the wrong era

I want to live in Cranford.

I just finished watching two BBC movies this week (Cranford and Tess of the D'Urbervilles - one happy and lovely, the other wretchedly depressing and now I want to read both books again), both set in Victorian-ish England, and I've come to the conclusion that I was born in the wrong era. I think I would have been just fine having to wear dresses and hats all the time. And women were JUST beginning to have some independence and a voice, so I may have been OK. And they wrote! Letters!

Jarad says that if a movie doesn't have English accents, isn't based on a book by a dead English author or is not about some sort of royalty I won't watch it. I think he's probably pretty spot on. Hey, even American Idol has a Brit :).

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Come on over! We'll go find Cranford together. Plus, I know where Jane Austen grew up in Bath, UK.

Alli grins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alli grins said...

Oh, aren't we so jealous of Jamie in the UK? I am! Katie, resist and don't put yourself through reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles again. I love the name Tess, but that book is really, really depressing. I wrote a thesis on Thomas Hardy and I'm not a fan. Life is too short! I'm not sure you'd love wearing a corset and I'm pretty convinced you'd miss your washing machine!