Monday, January 11, 2010

RIP Fred: A Fish Memorial


We lost our dearly beloved fish Fred over the Christmas break. I got an email a couple of days before Christmas informing me of his passing, but I didn't tell the kids until after Christmas. Actually I only told Emma, and it was about a day before she chose a particularly inappropriate moment to tell Fisher who spent the first hour or so of our drive home in tears.

Funny, but I never thought a fish could have much of a personality, but after getting a new fish this past weekend, I'm realizing the differences between Fred and Bob.

Here's what I loved about Fred:

1. His bowl was next to our digital picture frame on our kitchen counter. We often found him swimming up next to the frame, watching as our family photos flipped from one to the next. His own personal dive-in movie. We put Bob next to the frame his first day home and he could care less. Fred knew his family.

2. Fred knew when we were around. Every time someone was in the kitchen near his bowl, whether we were about to feed him, unloading the dishwasher, making a sandwich, he would come to the edge of the bowl to watch us. And more often than not he did that freaky beta fish thing where they puff up, telling us he was in charge and we better watch our step. Bob, again, could care less. The only time we've seen him puff up is when we put a mirror next to the bowl.

3. Fred was a well-traveled fish. He came with us to Utah last summer.

For the record, the twins were unaffected by his death. They were just so excited to go to the pet store to get a new fish. But that trip to PetSmart exposed them to guinea pigs and hamsters. Ugh. That's all Tess is talking about now is getting a blasted guinea pig. Ain't gonna happen. Mark my words...

So good bye Fred the Red Fish. We loved you and we will miss you.

And welcome Bob the Blue Fish.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

You are just really trying to make feel bad, aren't you!?! I said I was sorry!!! Make sure Fisher knows too!

The Curtis Family said...

:) I really wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I actually deleted the paragraph that described your generous offer to watch the fish and subsequent generosity in cleaning his bowl in the hopes of sparing your feelings! Fisher is so over Fred now -- I think it was less WHAT Emma said at the time than HOW she said it LOL.

bethiepoos said...

ok I have some strong feelings here!
first of all, Bob sounds like a complete jerk! He is totally into himself! what a poser! How sel"fish" is he???
fred on the other hand/fin, sounds like a little darling, bless his "sole" He was an amazing creature, and you were blessed to have known and loved him for the few short days that he was in your life! I believe with all my heart that Fred is in a better place Katie. I am sure he and our late "sushie" are holding each other. hang in there! Don't be scared to grieve, it is all part of the healing process. You will smile again one-day Katie, its going to be ok!!!
From your friend Beth

R.I.P Fred and Sushie

Ali said...

That is so cute! Beta's are the best fish, we had ours in CA for a couple of years and the kids had to give them away when we moved... And guinea pigs are REALLY stinky!