Monday, March 9, 2009

Confessions of a Chocoholic


I was jonesin' for something sweet yesterday and started rooting around the kitchen to see what I had on hand to whip up a yummy something-or-other. Turns out, I had everything on hand to make "Magic Cookie Bars" or "Seven Layer Cookies" as they are sometimes called. Everything except the butterscotch chips, which is just fine with me because I happen to think they detract from the chocolaty taste of an otherwise perfectly delish cookie.


Do you know the cookie I'm talking about? Crushed up graham crackers & melted butter as the crust, layered chocolate and butterscotch chips, coconut and nuts, all drizzled with sweetened condensed milk? I love these things, and haven't made them in a very very very long time, and have never really thought they needed improving (other than the sometimes too-sweetness of the butterscotch chips).


But what I was REALLY jonesin' for was something combining my favorite tastes of chocolate and peanut butter. How could I add a little PB into this, without having any PB chips on hand (again, I don't really like the waxiness of PB chips, so this wouldn't have totally solved my conundrum)?


Friends, I have come up with the perfect improvement to this tiny delight. Melted peanut butter in the crust. I used about 1/4 cup of butter and a couple of big dollops of peanut butter (at least another 1/4 cup), melted them together and used this mixture to fuse together the graham cracker crumbs for the crust.


O. M. G(oodness).


I cannot stop eating them. We had them for dessert last night. Well, I had them and I allowed each child and Jarad a tiny bit too. I sent one in Emma's lunch today and stuck the pan in the fridge so I wouldn't piece on them all day. Have I told you how good they are chilled???????


I just cut the rest of the pan and put them in the outside freezer. Perhaps I'll be able to stay away now that they aren't sitting in my high-traffic areas. Yes, the fridge is a high-traffic area, especially when you're home all day with two three-year-olds, thank you very much.


So if you're in the neighborhood and need a chocolate fix, please do stop by. You would me doing me a favor if you took a couple of these off my hands (or should I say off my thighs?).

5 comments:

bethiepoos said...

ooh baby

my mouth just filled with saliva to the point of spilling out. (I believe some people call it drooling)

why do I live so far away from you? I might as well live in scotland!

Cheryl said...

Are you trying to kill my self-control! Knowing they are just across the street! I feel like I can almost smell them... hmmm...

Settler's Bay Relief Society said...

OK, Matt would totally love those. But I don't think he would ever get a chance to try them, cause I'd probably scarf them up before he got home. They look so yummy KT!

The Bastin's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Girl you are so not alone. I was feelin' the need for some indulgence myself for putting up with these sick people who have taken residence in my home and refuse to leave... So I made a chocolate cake w/ fudgy chocolate icing... and have been eating 3 pieces a day! What's a girl to do I tell you... As I always say, chocolate is cheaper than Prozac! LOL