Evidently, this is something I need. If you recall,
I had an oven fire several months ago. Evidently I didn't learn my lesson then, as I had another oven fire last week. Actually, it was on Jarad's birthday (happy birthday a week ago to my hotty husband). I was making him bbq ribs, and had placed the ribs under the broiler after basting them up with the sauce. Problem is that when I placed them back into the oven I, unbeknownst to me, grabbed the silicone trivet the pan had been sitting on as well. When I removed the ribs I was on the phone, so didn't notice the bright red silicone trivet still in the oven. Close the oven. Broil the trivet. Nasty smells and smoke permeated my kitchen as the smoke alarms squeal throughout the house. I tried to get the flaming trivet out of the oven, but it was stuck to the rack. So I took the entire rack to the sink and stuck the flames under the faucet. Ashes flew everywhere when the water hit the trivet.
A picture of the damage (this does not include the interior of my oven, which looked like Santa Claus -- covered with ashes and soot).

So the greatest thing I learned in this incident was NOT that I should never leave a silicone trivet in the oven under the broiler (DUH!!). It was that my kids have learned appropriate fire safety at school!
Emma and Fisher were in the playroom when the alarms started sounding. They came running into the kitchen area, saw the smoke and HIT THE FLOOR. They started belly crawling to the back door. It was so hilarious! Of course the twins copied them, so all four of our kids army crawled their way to safety!
6 comments:
caleb saw a man on fire on tv and said "he shoulda stop, drop and rolled, then he wouldn't die!" at least he listens to somebody...it sure isn't me.
i bet your house smelled wonderful after that!
That is hillarious...not the fire but how your kids army crawled out..I knew we sent them to school for something!
Maybe we just don't get a lot of fires up here in AK. My kids ignore the fire alarm at home, but boy do they know what to do if there's an earthquake!
Ok Katie, that is HILARIOUS! I am picturing your kids belly crawling out the door. Thanks for the laugh! And sorry about your house/oven :(
Haha you guys sure have a lot of fires in the home! I agree with Jenn's comment, if your kids were in AK they would have hid under a desk :)
That is hilarious about the kiddos!!! Also-I am glad the ribs made it-that would have really pushed me over the edge, if it all was for nothing!!
Post a Comment