Sunday, August 24, 2008

Emotion Explosion

I've been on a roller coaster today. I was released this morning as a Laurel Advisor in our YW program, and I am so sad about it. I have loved loved loved working with the girls in our ward. They are so amazing to me, just so strong, sweet and stalwart in spite of the world they live in. I love them. It always sounded so wierd to hear that as a youth, but when you spend nine or ten months praying for and looking out for and worrying about these girls every single day, there is definitely a love developed that you can't imagine having for kids other than your own. I really feel like I'm not "done" there - does that make sense? I feel like there's some way I need to keep my connection to them so I can make sure they're OK. I feel responsible for them! To top it off I had to teach today, and miraculously I was able to hold my emotions together.

Not so once I got home. Poor Fisher keeps finding me crying, and trying to get me to not cry. At one point I was cleaning up dinner dishes, standing at the sink. It was just Fisher and I in the room and I started to tear up again (and I'm sure I was making ugly-cry-face trying not to cry), and he rolls his eyes and says "oh no, not this again. You are NOT going to cry! Just think about Christmas!" This kid knows me well. He knows that whenever I think about Christmas I get happy :).

One of my girls just stopped by with a plate of cookies -- and tears streaming down her face -- to say goodbye. I lost it too. Just when I thought I was done crying about it. Who ever would have thunk it? That I would learn so much from a few teen-aged girls. But there you go.

The happy part of this whole thing is that I've been asked to serve as the first counselor in our Primary Presidency. I don't know the other ladies very well, but I am looking forward to getting to know them better, and it will be so fun to be able to be with my kiddos in Primary! In our last ward I was in the Primary presidency twice, but I didn't have any kids there myself. Emma was in nursery when we moved out of the ward. So I'm sure I'll have a totally different perspective on how to work with the kids, how to relate to them. How to get them to shut up :) That was for you Rochelle. I'm really looking forward to this new assignment, but it is bittersweet to leave my girls.

Emma has been so sweet today, knowing how sad I've been. She's been trying to hide her excitement about me being in primary with her out of sensitivity to my sadness. I'm sure Jarad thinks I'm such a boob about this, but he knows how much I've enjoyed being with the girls so he's not giving me too hard a time. I have such a great family.

Anyway, off to probably cry a little more and get ready for the week ahead. August is almost over, which means September is just around the corner! And speaking of Christmas, it's four months from tomorrow! Woo hoo time to bust out the Carpenters Christmas Portrait!! That will make me happy.

6 comments:

Ali said...

It's always amazing how attached you get. It's been YEARS since I've been in YW but it will always have a tender spot in my heart too. Just think - in a few months, you'll be saying the very same thing about Primary! I always said, whenever they would call me in for a calling, just please don't let it be Primary. 3 years in the presidency in CA - my favorite calling. Not kidding. Here's some hugs to help the tears. ;)

mattis0n said...

We are so going to miss you in YW. I just got put in there and I was so excited to get to be with you and now they put you somewhere else. We're just going to have to do a lot more lunch dates!!! I think that you will have such a good time in primary with your kids. It's fun getting to see your kids participating and having fun (and you can make sure they are being good- not that yours are ever bad).

Rachel Cunningham said...

I got released from Young Womens in March and put into Primary. I still miss my cute little Beehives. I loved being in Young Womens. It is fun being with my kids but I'm still getting the hang of Primary. Teaching Sharing Time is a new experience for me. I'm not entertaining enough.

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

I am just now reading this and missed the "announement" of your new calling! I was in YW for years too (Tucson) and always grew to ♥ the girls. You will be great in Primary too, look out for my kiddos, they will be the very reverent and quiet children!!! LOLOLOL
Fisher is too cute with the "oh no, not this again!"

And, Katie, do you really ♥ the Carpenters???

bethiepoos said...

katie

not only do I have to leave the young women, but I have to leave EVERYONE!!! I am soo sooo sooo sad! I am crying even as I write this! I love our ward soo much, and have never felt soo welcome and comfortable in any ward, what am I going to do???

sob sob sob xxxxx

p.s We all really missed you tonight at mutual!

Jill said...

YW is great and the girls make you feel like you are young again, except with more experience. You will be great in primary too. Wait a couple of years when those laurels start getting married and invite you to their receptions. Now that will be weird.