Monday, February 18, 2008

Broken Binkies


I debated whether to write about this, because doing so admits a parenting flaw I'm well aware of.

The twins are 2 years, 3 months old and they still take binkies for naps, bedtime and whenever I just can't handle the noise level (usually in the mornings when I'm trying to get everyone out the door. and at church). This morning I was unusually harsh on Case and just took the binkie away (gasp!). Actually I think it was Jarad who took it, but I didn't cave and give it back because he's home and I wanted to prove I'm not a wimp of a mom (because any other day I would have lasted 10 minutes. tops.)

Anyhoo, I endured hours on hours of whining, crying, leg-hugging, following me around the house, etc. and so on from Case. OK it was like from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m., but it seemed like FOREVER. I decided I am NOT starting over with this, so I cut the nipples off the binkies. When I gave them to the twins at naptime a few minutes ago, they both were kind of freaked out. But I told them 'oh NO! the binkies are broken!' and they both pretty much accepted that. Tess still found a way to chew on the stump, but Case just tossed it aside. They aren't crying, but they aren't asleep.

And so we begin a new phase in our life. A binkie-free life. I'm not completely sure I'm ready for it either. The babies may just do better at it than I do.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Hey Katie, Summer Tilton here! Brandon did the same thing with Caleb. He was almost 2 but it really only took a day for him to get over it. Good luck and here's to hoping for sleeps (and remaining sane) without binkies!!!

The Curtis Family said...

Hey Summer! So fun to hear from you. I snuck over to your blog, so now that I know where you are (online) I can keep up with you guys!