Thursday, October 9, 2008

Celebrating 50 Years...





Today is the 50th wedding anniversary of two of my favorite people -- Shelby and Ellen Stastny. My mommy and daddy.

What a great example they have been, raising five kids together in the wasteland of Alaska (ha ha), holding fast to the things they believe in and living lives that exemplify their faith in Heavenly Father.

My mom is the kindest person I know. Sure, she has her caustic side, but when it comes right down to it, she is just plain nice. All my life she was in the service of others, whether for her callings in church, supporting my dad in his callings and in work, driving us kids around, helping with homework, lending an ear on the other end of a long-distance phone call. Just plain kind. I hope I have a fraction of her kindness in my heart.

My dad is stalwart. Wise. Never a gray area with him. While this bugged the death out of me in my younger years, I have come to really appreciate this trait about him because now that's how I want to see things. He was known in Alaska as an honest guy. People trusted him to make the right decisions -- business and otherwise. I never doubted my Dad's love for me, and the worst punishment ever was knowing he was disappointed in me.

One thing I've never questioned about my parents is their faith in and dedication to Heavenly Father and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I had never been so proud to have them as my parents as when they were on their mission in San Diego.

They love each other. They support each other. They are friends. And after 50 years they still feel that way.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. I love you more than you know.

No comments: