Sunday, October 26, 2008

Emma's Baptism

It's been a week since Emma was baptised and I haven't written because I'm just getting around to downloading and looking at all the pictures we took!

What an amazing day it was to watch my oldest daughter get baptised and confirmed by her dad, and to have my own dad on hand to participate and support. I kind of expected it to be a hectic day, and that I'd be so worried about something going wrong that I wouldn't remember a thing. But can I just say how much I love stake baptisms? We didn't have to worry about a single detail other than showing up, bringing a towel (and dry underwear, thanks Alli!) and having someone to do the ordinance. So I was actually able to enjoy the day with Emma as she took this big step.

Jarad was so great about preparing her. We, of course, had several FHE lessons and other discussions about this day, but that morning after they had changed into their white clothes, he found an empty quiet room where he could go through what was going to happen (ie where to put her hands, how he would dunk her), and then they had a prayer together. I'm so grateful they had that time together, and that Jarad was so thoughtful about his responsibility as her dad.





Her confirmation blessing was so touching. In our ten-plus years together I can count on one hand (OK two fingers) the times I've seen Jarad cry, or even heard his voice catch. But as he confirmed Emma, I could hear the emotion in his voice and feel the love he has for our daughter. He counseled her to pray, to study and love the scriptures, to serve others and to keep the commandments. How simple are those things, but how important too. I'm so grateful for Jarad.




We were so happy to have the many friends and family who took time out of their busy Saturday to come to Emma's baptism. I know how busy Saturdays are, and we loved seeing everyone who was able to come. Thank you for supporting Emma!

I was especially happy that my mom, dad and sister Kristin were able to come down from Utah for a long weekend. It was so great to have them all here. I think Jarad and Dad were about ready to pull their hair out (I won't say ANYTHING else about hair Dad) with all the giggling and whispering we girls did. It was some much needed girl time, to be sure.



Who we did miss on this day, though, were Grandpa and Grandma Curtis who are on their mission in Georgia. I know Grandpa Curtis would have had some wisdom to share with Emma on this special day. We sure did miss you guys, but we're glad you're where you are! Keep up the good work Elder and Sister Curtis!

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this day special for Emma. I know it's a day she'll remember always.

2 comments:

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

Ok, hope that invite came thru. What a great day for Emma and your family! She is too cute.
And that post about Jarad...he's a keeper! ;)

Heather said...

Sounds like a super day indeed! I loved seeing the pic of your dear folks and Kristen! You guys are beautiful.